No, we’re not talking about a printing press. Gutenberg is a new editor in WordPress and it’s making life a lot easier for WordPress users when it comes to editing and updating their websites so it’s worth talking about. We know for some, logging into a website and making any kind of changes can be overwhelming, so we’ve teamed up with our friends at ColoredCow to explain what Gutenberg is and why it’s providing users with a better experience when it comes to editing their sites.
So what makes Gutenberg a better WordPress editor? It’s putting more control into the hands of website users, which means dependency on developers will reduce quite a bit, and in turn, can help save money in the long run. Beyond that, the reasons to switch include:
- Gutenberg will provide more control to the owners and will reduce the dependency over developers.
- In the long term, the developer interference and cost would be way lesser than it used to be.
- You can efficiently utilize plugins which are planning to add support for Gutenberg to provide more robust features.
- Switching to Gutenberg will help keep your website up to date with all the new features.
But how does Gutenberg actually benefit your business or organization? It’s all about saving time and money while making life easier for site users.
- More control is given to site managers – Editing pages and layouts will be easy thanks to features like block editors that allow you to add, rearrange, and style multimedia content without code.
- Reducing developer cost – The dependency on developers will be less to make changes.
- Quicker site deployments – Better editing experience with many inbuilt features makes for faster updates.
- Easy employee onboarding – Gutenberg is easy to understand and has a small learning curve for new people. It’ll be easy to onboard a new site manager.
- Increasing productivity – Formatting options and features can be accessed quickly.
- Mobile responsive inbuilt – Gutenberg supports responsive layout. No need to write custom code.
- Existing site cleanup – Gutenberg will reduce the need of multiple plugins. It’ll be a cleaner dashboard when all redundant plugins are removed.
- Reusable components – By creating, saving and reusing components the cost and time to create new pages will be even less.
- WordPress is now competitive with other sites – With the Gutenberg editor, WordPress is now competitive with the drag and drop editors found on Wix and SquareSpace sites.
The overall benefit for your site is that there is less effort to be made with code, so the time it takes to complete your project in terms of development is reduced, as well as the cost.
So what do you need to achieve all of this and try Gutenberg in your own website? First, you need a WordPress site and to update your existing plugins, as well as to complete compatibility checks. Be mindful that although there will be no effects on existing websites with Gutenberg, a risk-mitigation assessment and thorough testing will be necessary.
Curious to learn more? You can head over to the WordPress website to learn more about Gutenberg and even give it a try. We’re also planning a webinar in the near future, so stay tuned for an official announcement.
Questions? Contact us! We are happy to help!