Get caught up with our latest webinar by watching the video at the bottom of this post, or read the recap below!
Your website is often the first impression a prospective customer will have of your business, and out of all the pages on your website the About Us page is likely to be one of the most popular next to your home page. Your About Us page can set the stage for the experience a customer may have with your brand and affect their decision to choose your products or services over another. This is where you tell your unique story and people are always looking for a good story. With that in mind, it’s important to carefully craft your About Us page in a way that is a true reflection of your brand rather than simply introducing your business and team.
However, that’s just the beginning of what your About Us page should do. In fact, it should be able to accomplish much more than you might think. In the About Page Guide, Bernadette Jiwa writes “The secret of a great About Page is that it’s less about the company and more about the reader or prospective customer and their wants and needs.” An About Us page should accomplish the following:
- Build trust with prospects – They’ve probably never met you so you need to give them reasons to trust you and your business.
- Show off what makes you different – This page should effectively communicate what makes your brand unique and why it’s worth it to work with you.
- Demonstrate authority and credibility – Your About Us page can accomplish this if it clearly explains to readers why they should listen to you and why they should want to work with you.
- Express how you can help customers and explain how you work with them – Telling your customers what you can do for them and even how you’ll do it can definitely impact their decision on choosing whether or not to work with you.
- Invite visitors to take action – Let your visitors know what you want them to do, whether it’s sign up for your newsletter, make a purchase, read the blog, connect on social media, etc.
Now that you know what your About Us page should accomplish, it’s time to start crafting your message. As you’re getting ready to put the pen to the paper (or your fingertips to the keyboard), keep these tips in mind.
- Write like you speak. Your About Us page should make readers feel like they are talking to you. However, this doesn’t excuse poor grammar, spelling mistakes, etc.
- Write in the tone of voice with which you would speak to your customers. This will help your writing reflect the type of relationship you want to have with customers.
- The length of the content is totally up to you. Remember, we live in a busy world with many distractions, so it is best to say what you want with as few words as possible.
Finally, there are some items you should include on your About Us page that will further help introduce your business to your audience, build credibility, and set you apart from the competition.
- A quality, professional looking headshot, as well as photos or a video that show the culture of your business
- Links to your business’ social media profiles
- Your values and relevant facts about yourself, your life, and your career journey
- Endorsements – Not to be confused with testimonials, endorsements come from your colleagues and/or industry publications your work has been featured in
- The things that set you apart from other similar businesses
- Examples of how you can help the customer
- At least one call to action
- A contact link or form
We hope these tips will help you craft an About Us page that helps website visitors connect with your business and brand, as well as understand what you can do for them and how you can do it better than the competition. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions!